In this post we are going to share our experience on building a mining rig. Of course mining bitcoin with GPU is dead after the asic chips appeared on the market, but there are other crypto currencies that you can mine. In the last months (or years if you mined litecoin in 2013) GPU mining is on the rise, since eth, zcash and many others uses GPU.
We will show you a common setup for mining eth or zcash. To improve the performance of your rig, you will need to changed the gpu core/mem settings.
Also we are going to use Nvidia cards. Currently we thing that Nvidia is better for mining (December 2017) and due to memory constraint of the DAG we prefer Nvidia memory capacity.
We will show you a tipical mining rig with 6 GPUs, but the motherboard support up to 8 GPUs!. For building this rig we are going to buy the following hardware:
- Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard
- CPU: Intel BX80677G3930 7th Gen Celeron Desktop Processors
- RAM: Any ram that is supported by the motherboard 8GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory – BLS8G4D26BFSC (White)
- Powersupply: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 5 Year Warranty, Power Supply 210-GQ-1000-V1
- 6 x Videocard: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (GV-N1060WF2OC-6GD)
- PCIE-Risers: Onvian Mining Dedicated Graphics Card PCI-E 1X to 16X Riser Card 164P with 6 Pin to SATA Power Supply USB 3.0 Cable 5 Pack
- SSD: Kingfast F6 2.5 Inch Sata III 32gb SSD Solid State Drive (7mm) for Desktop Laptop
- Shelving: Sandusky WS241430 Wire Shelving, 24″ Width x 30″ Height x 14″ Depth, 3 Shelves, Chrome
If you can afford a better power supply we recommend an evga platinum:
- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80+ PLATINUM, 1000W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 220-P2-1000-XR
GTX 1060 or GTX 1070?
We choose GTX1060 due to lower power usage than 1070. GTX1070 could cost 50% more, but the mining hashrate could be 20% more.
Here are the hashrate for both cards:
- GTX 1060: 21-23MH/s (25Mh/s with custom settings)
- GTX 1070: 26-27MH/s (31MH/s with custom settings)
Building the 8 GPU mining rig
ASUS z270-p and it has 2 M.2 slots, this allows you to use this adapted H-COME M2 NGFF to 16X PCI-Express 6Pin Powered Riser Adapter Card W/60CM USB 3.0 Cable &6Pin to SATA Power Cable-GPU Riser Adapter-Ethereum Mining ETH (1-Pack, black)
Steps to configure Asus z270 prime to use 8 GPUs
- First download or update to the latest BIOS.
- Go to BIOS with F1.
- Press F7 inside the BIOS.
- GO to Advanced.
- In Platform Misc Configuration everythign needs to be disabled.
- Go to System Agent Confguraton -> DMI/OPI Configuration.
- Change DMI Max Link Speed to Gen2.
- Go back -> PEG Port Configuration. Set all to Gen2 and PCIe Spread to Auto (Last setting).
- Go Back to Advanced -> PCH Configuration -> PCI Express Configuration -> PCIE Speed to Gen2.
Don’t change any M2 settings on the BIOS!